Thursday, September 10, 2015

THROW OFF THE OLD SELF...

How many times have I read this passage...

"Throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life..." Ephesians 4:22

Every time I read it I'm like - YEA! That's right, I did that - 20+ years ago! Right on!

Today when I read it - I realized I've been THROWING OFF my old self on a regular basis since I turned my life over to my Savior!

How is it that whenever I read this I always think back to the day I turned my life over and relinquished all control (or imagined control)  and gave it into the hands of my Savior?


Why is it that I tend to think of all the awful blatantly sinful things I USED to do - like lying, cheating, stealing...you name it!

But TODAY I am looking at this verse and what comes to mind is all the times pride has tainted my understanding of this particular verse.

Why YES! I HAVE thrown off my old sinful nature - but...there have been times where I've had AHA! life transforming moments where more subtle forms of sin have crept back in and I am needing to "clean house".

So for me to think this old nature and former way of life thing is a one-time deal is ignorance on my part.

Because unless I am HOLDING UNSWERVINGLY to the hope I profess and solidly fixing my eyes on Him, casting all cares of this world aside for something greater, something unseen...well...I will struggle with the flesh!

If you're living for Jesus...striving to do His kingdom work...then you will understand just how fierce the battle truly is. It doesn't get easier the more focused on God you are, but in that devotion, in that discipline you'll find the strength to stand!


That is why we must be ready and willing to throw off that old sinful nature at ALL times - to relinquish our former way of life - you see, as we are sanctified through Christ on our earthly journey we are transformed. Our minds are renewed and our former ways challenged to develop into the image of Christ. So even in my renewed state as a young Christian, each year of growth, each step of the journey, I learn more and more of who Jesus is and what living with Him at the center of my life actually entails.

With each growth spurt comes the opportunity to release the "former way" (the old me that didn't understand a concept of Christian living, but now I do).

My thinking is skewed by my past and what I may envision this Christian walk to be may not always be Biblically sound and I must diligently persist in the pursuit of a transformed mind that continues to be molded and shaped more and more into the mind of Christ.


In this life we will never know the depth of who God is but we must always be searching for more of Him on a moment by moment basis. A more intimate knowledge of Him awaits each of us.

And we should always be ready and willing to throw off the old sinful nature and former way of life!

"Awake O sleeper, raise up from the dead and Christ will give you light.

So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools,
but like those who are wise. 
Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.
Don't act thoughtlessly, but 
Understand what the Lord wants you to do..."
Ephesians 5:14-17

"For you died to this life and your real life is
hidden with Christ in God!"
Colossians 3:3

"Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do,
because you are his dear children.
Live a life filled with love,
following the example of Christ.
He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us,
a pleasing aroma to God."
Ephesians 5:1-2

So what part of your sinful nature are you needing to throw off today?? 
No need to comment - just take it before the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment