Thursday, August 28, 2014

COLLEGE BOUND!

I can't believe this...it blows my mind every time I think of it. I graduated from high school THIRTY years ago!?!?! That sounds like an eternity...okay maybe that's a bit overly dramatic. But it is a LLOOONNGG time.

So, I start college classes next week...NEXT WEEK!!!!
Am I a little apprehensive? A LITTLE?!?! heck yeah!
But the crazy thing is I'm bursting with anticipation as well!!! I know, I can't believe it! I don't understand where this enthusiasm is coming from!

I can't wait to jump in and I will have to jump in with both feet! I scheduled to start one month early because I want to do their fast start program. This means I will finish my first class within the first 30 days. Well, actually I will finish it within the first 22 days because I want to have it completed and take the next 2 weeks off to enjoy visiting Bethany and Brandon and their precious family - and holding my sweet new grandson!!! I don't want school looming over me. I want to know that I have accomplished my first task and my next one can start when I get home.

I know this probably sounds foreign to most college bound people. My program is an accelerated competency based program with Western Governors University. You take one class at a time. As you complete the assignments and prove your competency you move on to the next class. I think it's the perfect set up for someone who's employed full time. My goal is to complete the program in 30 months. In 2 1/2 years I would have my bachelors and if I get the hang to this program, I may even work on my masters and try to complete that in 6 months to a year. Ambitious? I hope so, because for some reason the Lord has laid it on my heart to do this and made it possible (I passed the entrance exams...after being out of school for 30 years...) and my employer is assisting with the tuition.

AND...what better way to start off my program than a 30th Class Reunion?! I'm stoked! I have a great weekend ahead of me and then I'm hitting the books! SO...I may not emerge very often and when I do it may sound a bit like gibberish...or too much like academia. Not that it's a bad thing, just saying I have no clue which direction I am going to go with this learning thing. My desire is to learn and dig and research and ask questions and learn more...well you get the picture.

If you were thinking it but afraid to ask - it seems that empty nest has led me to fly the coop - or maybe I'm just nesting into my little realm and preparing for the long season of learning. Here's a shot of my little "coop". It's coming along well and I have a few more touches to add but I believe it will do nicely! Trying to keep it SIMPLE and COMFORTABLE!






No comments:

Post a Comment